Have you ever tried making Almond Milk? Some of my clients were surprised at how quick and easy it was to make! Yes. You can make homemade almond milk in 3 minutes and get this: With only 2 ingredients! Can it get any better?
Why I Recommend Making Your Own Almond Milk Over Store Bought
Do you know what these mean?
- Locust Bean Gum
- Sunflower Lecithin
- Gellan Gum
- Natural Flavor
And for the VITAMINS & MINERALS:
- Calcium Carbonate
- Vitamin E Acetate
- Vitamin A Palmitate
- Vitamin D2
Most people don’t. Yet these ingredients are most common in many of the almond milk cartons. I’ll speak more about the above ingredients later in this post. Why is this of serious concern?
Think About This…
What is the ingredient of an almond? It’s not a trick question.
An Almond. That’s it. Nothing more.
So then, what should be the ingredient of Almond Milk?
Almonds and water. That’s it.
I like to ask my clients this question about many of the ingredients of the foods that they consume. We need to stick to whole foods. Real foods. Clean eating. Our bodies will thank us. If we don’t understand the breakdown of the foods we are consuming then how can we pinpoint how our bodies respond to the ingredients?
Now to address the ingredients mentioned above, I found a well-written article that breaks down why almond milk cartons are not a healthy buy written by The Home Economist. She does her research and highlights reputable resources such as Dr. Andrew Weil (one of my former teachers) and Dr. Mercola. My clients appreciate this information. I hope you do too!
Here is a recipe for a quick and easy way to make this delicious drink and ensure that you feel good, really good about what you are putting into your body! Have this refreshing milk with
- Almond Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies,
- Black Bean Brownies or
- Use it as an ingredient in the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Pancakes!
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 2 tablespoons of raw or roasted*almond butter (make sure the only ingredient in it is ALMONDS)
- Blend ingredients in a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix for 3 minutes.
- Use immediately or chill before serving. Store in a glass jar. My clients like to use the large mason jars.
- OPTIONAL ADD-INs - pinch of sea salt (if it doesn't already contain it) sweetener of choice such as honey, maple syrup or pitted Medjool dates
- *Roasted almond butter sometimes contains roasted almonds and sea salt. Your preference.
- If you are not consuming this right away, please refrigerate. Contents may settle over time. Just shake jar before using.