Who doesn’t LOVE lemonade? I’d like to think just about everyone does. So if you’re reading this and you do indeed love lemonade, have you tried it with Kale? This freshly squeezed Kale Lemonade is one of my children’s and clients’ favorites! When you don’t have a lot of time on your hand and you want to be conscious of maximizing nutrients with greens, this one is a definite SCORE!
There’s nothing like homemade lemonade. It’s something about it that ignite childhood memories for me filled with outdoors and family bonding. So many of my clients have shared with me their stories of surprising people with this drink. Surprise. Yes. You see, most people think that if you’re at a party why on earth would you want a green smoothie? But it’s not. It’s a green lemonade. Kale lemonade. And it is simple to make. Easy to enjoy.Are you having a cookout? A movie night? A ladies night in? Or maybe it’s family time. Whatever the occasion, if any at all, this lemonade gives you a healthy pairing with just about anything!
In each of my posts, I try to relate the “whys” of the ingredients as to their nutritional value. So without further adieu…here are 3 reasons why you should have these ingredients as a staple in your kitchen!
- Strengthens your immune system
- Cleanses your stomach
- Considered a blood purifier
- It gives you 150mg of calcium per 100 grams (100 grams = 1 cup), while milk has 125mg.
- It is heart healthy because of phytonutrients, such as quercetin, helping it to be anti-inflammatory and working against cancer
- Provides lots of nutrients to help keep your body going.
Only a few ingredients but it offers a powerhouse of nutrients!
Oh and one more thing. I encourage you to use fresh lemons. Many of the store bought containers have ingredients that not only are not the best for you but oftentimes to everyday people, we have no idea what in the world these ingredients (such as: sodium benzoate, sodium metabisulfite, sodium sulfite) are and what they do – be it for good or bad.
- 6 cups of filtered cold water
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from approximately 6 lemons)
- 1 organic apple, cored, peeled into chunks
- 2 handfuls of kale (about 8-10 leaves of kale)
- Blend all ingredients until well-blended and smooth.
- To get a silk smooth taste pour lemonade through a strainer and use the pulp to add to another recipe such as a smoothie.
- Sweeten to taste and serve immediately.
- Enjoy - Refreshingly!
- *This recipe is using a high speed blender such as a Vitamix or the like.
- When adding a sweetener, don't let it be overpowering with sweetness. Just enough to remove the strong taste of lemons if you prefer something on the sweeter side.
So, have you tried Kale Lemonade before?
What’s your story?
Can’t wait to hear!
Kale & Lemony Love,